Friday 3 March 2017, 7pm, OTO Project Space
Tom Wheatley & Guillaume Viltard have been working privately as a duo since July 2013. For March 2017 they have chosen to make it public. The space can be accessed from 7pm, the duo plays at 7.30pm
Tom Wheatley is an artist and musician based in London
His current projects include:
- A duo previously containing clothes, stands, close-mikings and dog hair with Ilana Blumberg, documented here
- A long-standing duo with Billy Steiger, releasing it’s first public material soon
- A new recording project with Iain Hetherington
- Various lineups & outputs with Daniel Blumberg, often including Billy Steiger, Ute Kanngiesser, Elvin Brandhi and Jim White
- A duo with Grundik Kasyansky, currently finishing it’s first release, and the trio Denis D’or, with Yoni Silver also
An intensely physical double-bassist Viltard was one of OTO’s first associate artists – he has played and performed here with musicians as diverse as Otomo Yoshihide and Kan Mikami, Louis Moholo-Moholo, and Evan Parker. Particularly memorable was a sensational solo set in support of Marc Ribot. Most often his work has been in the ‘classic’ jazz format of saxophone/bass/drums: from trios with the late Tony Marsh and Shabaka Hutchings, to most recently Eddie Prévost and Ken Vandermark.
His uncompromising, physical and rhythmic approach to the double-bass – always acoustic, adamant – connects to jazz learning from sources as diverse as Jean-Jacques Avenel, Barre Phillips, Johnny Mbizo Dyani and Ronnie Boykins.
His close association with OTO endures, and since late summer 2013 he has been part of a group of musicians playing, pushing and learning day and night in the OTO project space. Most often private, groupings around this new energy these groups are increasingly public, for example Steve Noble’s (new) Quartet.