20–22 October 2022
Delighted to host a three-day residency with legendary vocal improvisor, dancer, and performer, Maggie Nicols, ahead of the release of her first physical solo release, Are You Ready?, on our own OTOroku label.
While she might be best known as an improviser, most notably in the Spontaneous Music Ensemble, Feminist Improvising Group and more recently with the likes of 'Les Diaboliques', Maggie Nicols’ talents stretch into song, dance, poetry, performance and composition. This specially curated residency brings together a series of projects and collaborations across three themed days, consisting of longstanding collaborations and new projects spanning her career up until this very day.
DAY ONE: CREATIVE CONTRADICTION – PROGRAMME:
- Tutti with Faradena Afifi & more
- Erunim: Phil Minton / Maggie Nicols duo
- Steve Beresford - solo piano
- Rie Nakajima / Maggie Nicols duo
DAY TWO: POETRY, SONG AND SOUND – PROGRAMME:
- Poetry, Song and Sound band: Julia Doyle (double bass), Steve Noble (percussion), Frances Knight (piano), Shirley Hall, Nick Lubran, Florence Uniacke, Vicky Scrivener, Maggie Nicols
- Pat Thomas / Thurston Moore (duo)
- Sweet'n's'ours: Julie Tippetts / Maggie Nicols (duo)
DAY THREE: THE GATHERING – PROGRAMME:
- The Gathering:
Jonathan Byrd (unprepared guitar)
Chris Parfitt (saxophone & flute)
Shirley Hall (bass clarinet)
- Maggie Nicols / Claire Turner (duo)
- Womens' improvising group:
Sarah Gail Brand
Maggie Nicols joined London's legendary Spontaneous Music Ensemble in 1968 as a free improvisation vocalist. She then became active running voice workshops with an involvement in local experimental theatre. She later joined the group Centipede, led by Keith Tippets and in 1977, with musician/composer Lindsay Cooper, formed the remarkable Feminist Improvising Group. She continues performing and recording challenging and beautiful work, in music and theatre, either in collaborations with a range of artists (Irene Schweitzer, Joelle Leandre, Ken Hyder, Caroline Kraabel) as well as solo.