Wednesday 28 February 2018, 7.30pm
After five years private work in and around Cafe OTO and ahead of an album release later this year, Daniel Blumberg, Billy Steiger and Tom Wheatley play new songs, joined by Ute Kanngiesser.
Billy Steiger was born in Howth on the 16th December, 1986. Now he plays the violin.
“Then he sat down by a pond and began to play a tune. As he played, the most extraordinary thing happened. One by one the fish in the pond began to jump out and fly about in the air. And what is more, they were all different colours and they were singing to the music.”
Patrick, Quentin Blake.
Tom Wheatley is an artist and musician based in London
His current projects include:
- A duo previously containing clothes, stands, close-mikings and dog hair with Ilana Blumberg, documented here
- A long-standing duo with Billy Steiger, releasing it’s first public material soon
- A new recording project with Iain Hetherington
- Various lineups & outputs with Daniel Blumberg, often including Billy Steiger, Ute Kanngiesser, Elvin Brandhi and Jim White
- A duo with Grundik Kasyansky, currently finishing it’s first release, and the trio Denis D’or, with Yoni Silver also
Ute Kanngiesser is a London based musician from Germany. She has played classical cello since early childhood and turned to improvisation and experimental music while training in physical theatre and dance in Berlin. Since then, she has thoroughly deconstructed her classical roots and focussed on the immediate material of her instrument - its limitless resonance and pulse, its potential for an elemental music that dissolves conventional notions of rhythm and pitch and what it means to be lyrical.
Most recent collaborations have been with Seymour Wright, Crystabel Riley, Paul Abbott, Keira Greene, Billy Steiger, Evie Ward, Daniel Blumberg, Tom Wheatley, Jim White, Taku Sugimoto, Minami Saeki, Joe McPhee, David Ornette Cherry, and Steve Noble.
Her music has been released on Otoroku, Matchless, Earshots, Another Timbre and Mute. www.utekanngiesser.com